Ombudsman complaint investigation


Community Information
Home> Community Information> Complaints to the Ombudsman


CSF logo

You have the right
to complain if you
believe a Government department or industry
has treated you unfairly.



How to make your complaint
It is usually better to put your complaint in writing, especially if it is complex. Carefully detail the main facts without adding irrelevant information. Also, keeping this realistic, suggest what action you would like the Ombudsman to take to resolve your problem. Include the relevant documentation to help support your case, but only send copies of your documents.

If you phone the Ombudsman's office keep note of the time and date of your call, plus the name and position of the person you spoke to. Stay calm, polite and focus on your problem even if you feel angry or frustrated.

Also see the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website for their Fact Sheets on mobile phone services, grocery and petrol prices, warranty, guarantee, refund policies and how to make a complaint.
Victorian Government Ombudsman (Ombudsman Victoria)
You can complain to Ombudsman Victoria if you are unhappy about the way you have been treated by any:
  • Victorian Government department
  • Statutory Authority
  • Municipal or Shire Council
  • Private agency carrying out statutory responsibilities of government.

The Ombudsman can investigate decisions, actions and conduct of employees of State government agencies including:

  • School Councils
  • Transport Accident Commission (TAC)
  • Universities and other tertiary institutions
  • VicRoads
  • Victorian WorkCover Authority
Location: Level 9,
459 Collins Street (North Tower)
Melbourne VIC 3000

Website: Ombudsman Victoria

(03) 9613 6222
(03) 9614 0246
1800 806 314
Eligibility: Before making a complaint, you must first try to resolve your problem with the authority concerned. Complaints should be written and signed.

dot Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) - Investigates complaints against Victoria Police (and other Victorian Government bodies) to ensure ethical and professional standards are maintained.

dot Disability Services Commissioner - Investigates and helps resolve complaints Phone: 1800 677 342 1300 726 563 (TTY)

dot Health Services Commissioner - Investigates complaints to ensure ethical and professional standards are maintained. Phone: 1800 136 066

dot Privacy Victoria - Investigates complaints Phone: 1800 666 444.

Commonwealth Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman investigates complaints about:

  • Actions and decisions of Australian Government agencies to see if they are wrong, unjust, unlawful, discriminatory or unfair.
  • Goods and services delivered to the public by government contractors for and on behalf of the Australian Government.

Commonwealth government agencies include Centrelink and Veterans' Affairs benefits, child support payments, Child Support Agency, ATO, Australian Federal Police, Defence Force, immigration detention centres and immigration decisions.

Location: Level 10, Casselden Place
2 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Website: Commonwealth Ombudsman


1300 362 072
(03) 9654 7949 (Melbourne VIC)
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
Eligibility:  You must try to resolve the problem with the department or agency first.

dot Postal Industry Ombudsman Investigates complaints about Australia Post or any other postal or courier operators (registered with the scheme) which have been unable to be resolved directly.

dot Fair Work Ombudsman 1300 186 278- Information line on workplace agreements, pay and conditions, fairness test. See website for more details.

Industry Ombudsman

To complain about banks, insurance, telecommunication companies, gas, electricity and water suppliers, lawyers, doctors, builders or about discrimination, privacy, employment or disability matters, contact the appropriate Industry Ombudsman. See contact details and links below.

Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) Australia offers fair, independent and accessible dispute resolution for consumers who are unable to resolve complaints with member financial service providers. The service is free of charge for applicants and is an alternative to going to court.

Postal address: GPO Box 3
Melbourne VIC 3001
Website: Financial Ombusdmen Service


1800 367 287
(03) 9613 6399
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm


Before we can consider the dispute, your financial services provider must be given an opportunity to resolve the dispute with you directly. Your financial services provider will have a complaints area that you can contact by phone, email or letter.
CityLink Customer Ombudsman (Victoria)

Free service fully funded by Transurban.

Postal address: Level 3, IBM Tower
60 City Road

Website: CityLink Customer Ombudsman


1800 145 009


You must try to resolve your problem before contacting the Ombudsman. Phone CityLink Customer Service on 8656 8770 or email
Credit and Investments Ombudsman

The Credit and Investment Ombudsman (CIO) offers an impartial dispute resolution scheme to assist consumers to resolve complaints with participating financial services providers.

Postal address: PO Box A252
Sydney South NSW 1235

Website: Credit and Investments Ombudsman


Email: Hours:


1800 138 422
(02) 9723 8440
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm


You must first try to resolve your problem by contacting your financial service provider.
Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)

Free service independently resolves disputes between electricity, gas and water customers and providers.

Postal address: GPO Box 469D
Melbourne VIC 3001
Website: Energy and Water Ombudsman



1800 500 509
Restricted phone services - ring Telstra Reverse Charges (12550) and quote 9649 7599 - EWOV will accept reverse charges and call cost.

1800 500 549
131 450

Eligibility:  You must try to resolve the problem with your provider first.

Private Health Insurance Ombudsman

The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman can:
  • Provide members with an independent service for health insurance problems and enquiries.
  • Deal with complaints about a private health fund, private health insurance, private hospital,  medical practitioner, dentist or other practitioner. Complaints must be about private health insurance.

Postal address:

Private Health Insurance Ombudsman

Suite 2, Level 22,
580 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000


Private Health Insurance Ombudsman

Australian Health Insurance Information
Information and quick answers to health insurance questions.



1800 640 695
(02) 8235 8778
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm


Contact your private health fund or the body first as they may be able to resolve your complaint. The Ombudsman cannot deal with complaints about Medicare. These should be directed to the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

Public Transport Ombudsman (Victoria)

Investigates complaints which have been unable to be resolved directly with public transport operators. The Ombudsman provides a free and fair service, independent of both the government and public transport operators.
Postal address:

PO Box 538
Collins Street West


Public Transport Ombudsman


(03) 8623 2111 or 1800 466 865
(03) 8623 2100
Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5pm



You must give the public transport operator the opportunity to respond by complaining directly to them. If you are dissatisfied with their response then you can complain to the Ombudsman.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

Resolves disputes for residential and small business consumers who have a complaint about their telephone or internet service.
Location: Level 3, 595 Collins St
Melbourne VIC 3000

Postal address: PO Box 276
Collins Street West VIC 8007

Website: Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman


1800 062 058
1800 630 614


You must try to resolve the problem with your provider first.



You are welcome to link to these pages to your website, but please do not copy them as our team of volunteers regularly check and update this information.

Please contact if you would like your information included.

|      PRIVACY STATEMENT      |      HOW YOU CAN HELP      |      SUPPORTERS      |
This page last updated: 05-Jan-2018