No or Low Interest Loans
in the Frankston area
Good Money Hub
Safe, affordable financial services.
Various finance options for household appliances, cars, car repairs, education fees including uniform costs and medical expenses.
Information on No Interest loans, AddsUP plus buyer service.
Help with managing money, debts and bills.
Eligibility: You must be a low income earner or receiving a Centrelink payment.
Phone: 8788 7300
Address: 250 Lonsdale St. DANDENONG
Good Shepherd Step Up Loan
Phone: 5979 8199
(Step Up loans)
• Offers loans from $800-$3000
Repayment structure based on what you can afford
(long term basis with low interest rate).
• Loans are for:
- whitegoods (fridges, washing machines)
- computers, electrical goods
- medical expenses
- house repairs
• Loans cannot be used for cash, holidays, bills or debt consolidation.
Eligibility: Individuals or families holding a current Health Care or Pension card or on Family Tax Benefit Part A and who cannot access bank credit. Applicants must have lived at their current address for at least 3 months and have some employment.
How to apply A Good Shepherd community worker will help you with the loan paperwork which is then sent to NAB to be assessed.
Good Shepherd No Interest Loan (NILS)
Phone: 5979 8199 for an appointment
NILS provides individuals and families on a low income access to safe, fair and affordable credit with no fees, charges or Interest.
Loan amounts vary, but are usually $300 - $1200 with affordable repayments over 6-18 months.
For essential goods and services including:
• Household items-whitegoods and furniture
• Some medical and dental services
• Educational computers and text books
• Some other items as requested.
Loans cannot be used for Bond or rent arrears, food, bills, cars or cash advances.
To qualify for the Family Life NILS in the Frankston area you must:
• Have a Health Care Card/Pension Card or be on a low income under $40,000
• Live at your current address for over 3 months
• Show a willingness and capacity to repay
Peninsula Christian Care ― NILS
(No Interest Loan Scheme)
Interest free loans up to $800 assessed on eligibility.
Loans are for:
- Whitegoods (washing machines, fridges and dryers)
- Heaters, microwaves, TVs
- Bedding, lounge suites, dining settings
Loans are not available for:
bond, rent, bills, motor vehicles/motor vehicle repairs or expenses, general living expenses.
Individuals receiving Centrelink payments and Health Care card. Must reside at current address for at least 6 months and live within postcode areas 3911, 3912 or 3199. Must show proof of identity and demonstrate the ability to repay the loan within 12-18 months.
How to apply:
Phone PCC worker to discuss loan. They will send an application form and list of documents required for assessment. Then ring to arrange an appointment with a Loans Officer. Attend the interview and within 2 weeks the outcome of your loan application will be ready (no information about loan approval will be provided during the interview).
Phone: 5971 4877
252 Frankston - Flinders Rd, FRANKSTON
Centrelink ― Advance Loans
How to apply: Through Centrelink
Phone: 136 240
Individuals must be receiving a Centrelink payment. Eligibility differs depending on type of payment received. You can choose to receive the Family Tax Benefit advance as a one off payment or as a regular advance.
- Amount you can borrow is based on the payment you receive; typically loans can be between $50-$1000.
- Repayments are made over a 6 month period (no interest charged).
- Repayments are automatically deducted from your regular Centrelink payment.
- Approved within 2 -3 days.
You are not eligible to receive an advance payment if you are:
- Repaying an advance payment you received more than 12 months ago
- Owe a debt to the Australian Government
- Cannot afford to repay the advance payment out of your payment within 6 months without suffering financial hardship, or
- Not in Australia when you apply for the advance payment of your income support entitlement
Centrelink ― Crisis payment
Phone: 132 850
A one off payment to help people who have experienced extreme circumstances.
- A victim of domestic violence or other extreme circumstance
- Affected by a natural disaster that is not covered by the Australian
- Government Disaster Recovery Payment
- Released from prison or psychiatric confinement, or
- Arrived in Australia for the first time on a refugee or humanitarian visa
Free Financial Counselling
in the Frankston area
Good Shepherd (South East Water)
Must have account with South East Water AND meet one or more of these criteria:
- Receiving Centrelink benefits, government pension or low income earner
- At risk of, or disconnected from utilities
- Have debts or overdue fines
Good Shepherd can help by providing information on:
- Options and advocacy on large outstanding debts and debt management
- Eligibility for Utility Relief Grant schemes
- Early release superannuation criteria
- Bankruptcy and Magistrates Court processes
- Credit and debt matters
Service is free and confidential
Phone: Good Shepherd on 5971 9444 to make an appointment.
This service is located at:
Community Support Frankston
35 Beach Street, FRANKSTON.
Bayside and Peninsula Financial Counselling Service
Eligibility: Resident of, or works or studies in Frankston City.
- Information and referral, including to Moneyhelp, for phone support
- Sessional phone casework
- Sessional face-to-face casework
How they help:
- Provide information on credit card and debt, including bankrupty
- Access hardship support for some bills or debts
- Assist clients to manage their debts
The financial counsellor will work with people over the phone and may make another phone appointment or a face to face appointment at the closest office.
Counsellors may also refer to other services such as family support, consumer rights & legal services, family violence or housing and homeless services.
• Service is free and confidential
Intake line: Phone 1300 765 595
This service is located at
Community Support Frankston
35 Beach Street, FRANKSTON
More help available
MoneyHelp (Free phone counselling service)
A not-for-profit financial counselling and debt advice service funded by the Victorian Government to assist those affected by the global economic downturn.
It provides free, confidential and independent financial advice to Victorians experiencing, or concerned about, job loss or reduced working hours.
1800 007 007 Free phone financial counselling service (including interpreters).
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:30am — 5:00pm
Consumer Affairs Victoria
Investigates complaints about fraudulent, illegal or unfair trade or commercial practices regarding goods and services.
Consumer Action Law Centre (Legal Advice Line)
Phone: 1800 466 477
Hours: Mon ― Fri 10:00am―1:00pm, 2:00―4:00pm
Free advice and referrals on consumer credit matters such as contracts, hire purchase and other consumer finance matters.
www.infochoice.com.au/banking/credit-card.aspx comparison of credit cards.
How to contact your Ombudsman. List on this website: www.frankston.net/ombudsmn
Download and Print
Financial Counsellors 175k (2 page PDF)
Free financial counselling in the Frankston area.
Where to Find Assistance 175k (2 page PDF)
Bill payments, financial assistance and school payments.
No Interest and Low Interest Loans 175k (2 page PDF)
Low or no cost loan options in the local area.